Dirty baseboards are enough to make a room look unkempt. However, their location makes them so easy to neglect, and it’s worse when you can’t bend over to scrub.
The good news is that you can clean baseboards easily, even if you have bad knees or a sore back. Read on to learn how to clean baseboards without bending over!
First, prepare handy cleaning tools
Your comfort is the priority, and extending your reach is the best way to clean your baseboards without strain. Here are some tools you can use to tackle this chore:
- Broom with a cloth attached: Wrap microfiber cloth around the brush and hold it in place with a couple of rubber bands.
- Microfiber sock on a stick: A tool you can make in seconds. Slip a yardstick inside the softest sock you have.
- Vacuum cleaner with a wand attachment: The best dust remover for this chore. You can dust your baseboards thoroughly without bending over with an extension wand.
Remember to remove dust before washing the baseboards.
Dusting first is mandatory to clean the floor trim effectively; otherwise, you’d be risking scratching the surface. The recommended way to remove all the debris is using a vacuum cleaner, but you’ll need an extension wand with the brush add-on.
Now that you cleared the way, it’s time to leave the baseboard spotless.
How to clean baseboards without bending over
The objective of this method is to save you time, effort, and even money. After you’re done, you’ll only need to keep your baseboards dust-free with weekly vacuuming and rewash them at least twice a year.
Step 1: Choose a cleaning solution
Here are two excellent cleaning solutions you can prepare in minutes. Whichever you choose, you’ll have nice results.
- Soapy water: You don’t have to be exact with quantities. Just add enough dish soap to a gallon of water. Remember to rinse afterward to avoid a sticky layer on the wooden trim.
- White vinegar: This is a handy cleaner you hopefully have in your kitchen already. The smell might seem like an issue at first; however, it dissipates quickly and needs no rinsing. Mix equal parts of white vinegar with warm water and throw everything inside a spray bottle.
Note: Since not all wooden trim is the same, spot-test the vinegar before using it.
Step 2: Clean the baseboards bottom to top
When cleaning the baseboards, using the proper technique can help you avoid a mess.
First, dip the wiping tool in the soapy water or spray the vinegar solution directly on the baseboards. Then, start from the bottom and work your way up. This way, you’ll pick up any water dripping down and prevent streaks.
Step 3: Finish with dryer sheets
The same dryer sheets you use for laundry have a special coating that prevents your baseboards from becoming magnets for hairs and dust. These sheets will also give the trim a subtle luster so that the wood can look its best.
In this step, get in a comfortable position on a comfortable seat and wipe the whole trim.
Is the rest of the house in need of some love too?
Hire the best home cleaners in Oklahoma City! You can always count on Home Maid Better to keep your home spotless. We will tackle your chores so you can focus on other things or relax. Click here for your free quote.